Sunday, July 8, 2018

March 19th, 2018 Brazzaville and Pointe Noire, Republic of Congo

6AM I woke up and tried to wake up the Chinese cook for breakfast. He told me to come back at 7:40AM. I tried to get him up again since nothing was happening at 7:25AM. He finally woke and started to make something. This was probably the best part about this day.

8:15AM I arrived at the port. They tried to haggle me forever and I finally got away with just losing around 2 USD. I talked to a Chinese person who exchanged 5000 XAF with me for 10 USD. He called me out on not giving him more, which I didn't have. I then asked him about travel experience here. He works here and has flown to where there were no roads. You could only fly there, stop and walk and sleep in expensive but dirty shacks. That's all they had. They prepared food with some crude preservation methods. They also ate bonobos and he said the look like babies. I got though to the boat rather quickly. I took a taxi and took my bag back from the Yes Club to the airport. Then things turned south.

11AM I got to the airport. Things were fine until they weren't. They wanted an electronic visa. Unfortunately, even though there was internet, it was way too early the Gabon embassy to be open. Of course, the number they gave for the embassy at Brazzaville is wrong. I was able to cancel my flight like always. I'll book through them when possible. I booked and cancelled a flight to Cotonou, Benin with Rwandair for 708 USD. When I discover TAC flew to COO for more than 300 USD less, I went to their office next door. Of course they didn't take USD or credit card and spoke no English. I gamble hugely and changed 400 USD for 217,900 XAF. This was awful and I painfully waited for them to book my ticket to COO through Pointe Noire and Libreville.

I had to cancel my Rwandair through Expedia. I booked it through them for this reason. Through website didn't let me cancel just outside of an hour, I was able to cancel it with full refund after speaking to a supervisor.

5:45PM I finally got to getting the boarding pass. The security guards finally let me through. I got the boarding pass and found the Priority Pass Lounge quickly. I spoke to a black Canadian guy who is setting up his business here. He offered me his place to stay overnight.

9PM His name is Christian and he owns some business moving here after Canada. He drove me to a restaurant in the beach and then we drove to his home. The place is clean and nice. Though I found out later the AC in my room didn't work. I dealt with it by wetting my shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment