Sunday, July 8, 2018

March 16th, 2018 Johannesburg, South Africa to Maputo, Mozambique, to Luanda, Angola

2:30AM I arrived at Johannesburg and past the international transfer desks. No one was working at this hour. I was about to get into Bidvest Lounge. The front desk gave me a hard time since I didn't have a boarding pass. He let me in after I showed him the electronic ticket. I took a shower and drink a coffee slush from their machine.

6:30AM I made a flat surface with their lounge chair and two foot rests. I was able to lay flat and sleep from 4:30AM until 6:30AM.

7AM Kenya Airway was not around for me to ask about mileage and Central Africa Republic. They would show up at 9AM. I went to Shongololo Lounge to get breakfast and boarded the flight for Mozambique.


10AM The flight only took an hour. I paid 3,090 MZN for the visa and took a tuk-tuk for 1 USD to get to the embassy. I think I may have underpaid given what happened later.

11AM The DR Congo Embassy would not extend my expired visa. I walked to the central station. I thought it would just take 1 hour but I didn't get there until 1:30PM.



2PM I bargained more than a dozen times I swear but finally gave into this tuk-tuk driver. I was to pay 500 MZN to go to the fish market and then airport.

2:30PM We arrived at the fish market. There was a swarm of people trying to get my business. I knew it was a tourist trap. They were giving the mixed plate for 300 MZN less than than the menu price at 1,800 MZN. I offered 1,500 MZN plus 200 I needed to make 490 for the driver. They took forever to get me 200 MZN. I got my take away box at 2:55PM.

3PM The driver for whatever reason got very angry that I made him wait 30 minutes. He wanted 300 MZN and didn't want to take me to the airport. I grabbed my luggage as soon as I knew there was a point of no return. We almost got into a real altercation. I gave him 250 MZN and was lucky he left. I got a nearby taxi to agree to take me to the airport for 400 MZN and took off. I had 30 percent of the meal. It wasn't good at all but the driver seemed to be interested. I showed the driver the receipt. When we arrived at the airport, I gave him the 240 MZN. He thought it wasn't enough but took it finally given I gave him the rest of my meal and then 0.30 EUR.

3:15PM I got my boarding pass and waiting in the priority lounge until around 5:30PM, when we boarded for Luanda. On the plane, there was a woman who got nauseous. We just gave her some salted tea and sugar.

9PM We arrived at Luanda, Angola. There was an hour of time difference. I hitched a ride from a woman and her husband. They first thought the place  I booked on booking.com was right next to KFC across the street. It was almost 50 USD. They then tried to find it for the next 90 minutes. I felt bad but we finally found it. The girl there wanted 10,000 AOA. I gave her 25 USD. The bank rate is around 214 AOA per USD but the black market rate is 400 AOA per USD. The room wasn't bad and I went to bed after shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment