Sunday, July 8, 2018

March 18th, 2018 Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo

6AM I woke up to find the Chinese worker manning at this place to happen to have been sleeping in the room right by the desk with monitors of the cameras installed at this place.

7AM I first past some teenager who wanted money and take me across with a speedboat illegally for 100,000 XAF. So, in the next 5 hours I wasn't able to convince them that my visa wasn't expired. It was but theirs reason was totally false. I couldn't get them to let me through so I walked back to where the kids offered to take me illegally. I got the price for round-trip for 30,000 XAF. I didn't take it due to the risks.

1PM I past a Chinese restaurant and they offered me a beer. The girl called some immigration officer at the DRC. They wanted 380 USD. I tried to bargain but couldn't get anywhere. I thought it was my only viable, bad option. When I walked back to the ferry, the chef on the other side was speaking to the chef who denied me on the phone. They let me through finally.

3PM I got to Kinshasa in 20 minutes. Everything was set up already for me to pay 380 USD. I ended up at 370 USD and 5,000 XAF. I found a taxi for 40 USD to get to the bonobo sanctuary. It took an hour and half. We were late by 2 minutes at 4:02PM. I tried to plead with the lady but they didn't let me. I stopped the car going into the gate. There was a French guy feeding a baby bonobo. Well, at least I saw one.

5PM We got back and I told him I wanted to get to a Chinese restaurant. I tried to pay the driver 20,000 XAF. He wasn't willing so the owner of the restaurant told the employee to get him 40 USD and keep my 20,000 XAF. She was a little unhappy with me.

7PM I was walking and finally stopped at a grocery store. A Chinese guy offered me to take me to a Chinese hotel. I really didn't have much choice. It was pretty dark already. I was only able to take the 70 USD down to 60 USD. I took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment