Saturday, November 4, 2017

March 5th, 2017 Muscat, Oman

5AM A guy working at Muscat told me about the minivans that I could flag down one when I see one. I exited the Plaza Premium Lounge to ask about leaving for Muscat. Unfortunately their supervisor was the only one authorized to do it and she would not be working until 7AM or so. She came at 7:40AM and I waited for another hour until she walked me through immigration on the departure side. 

8AM I exited and walked over the sky bridge to the other side of the road to take the minibus taxi to the embassy region. A nice Lady gave me a ride to it. The Indian embassy refused to extend my visa so I left. I hitched a ride from a couple, who supposedly was taking me to Muttrah but didn't. I ended up walking a while until I walked behind a building to reach the highway to call over a shared bus for 300 OMR to Ruwi district, where I took my next bus for 100 OMR. This one was awful because we had to wait until the bus was entirely full and there was no air conditioning.






10AM I finally reached Muttrah. But first it was the fish market, which I mistook for Muttrah Market. I then walked along the water to Muttrah, which was unimpressive.









12PM I bought a watermelon milkshake for 1.3 OMR. I then took a taxi for 2 OMR, which was a rip off as I found out later. I walked around the Sultan Palace and the nearby fort. Everything is closed to the public. I then asked for prices. It turned out everyone thought it should've been 0.5 OMR rather than 2 and it should cost 1.5 OMR and no more than 2 to go to the Grand Mosque. I bargained to 2.5 OMR. They are tough here. I asked the driver where Oman seafood was, considering it was all Egyptian near the fish market. He called a friend and pointed out Bin Ateeq Restaurant right off the highway. I toured the Grand Mosque, which was closed after 10 or 11AM. I only walked around the parameter. I then flagged a cab for 0.5 OMR to Bin Ateeq. I found that you have got to catch them when they are driving in the same direction to give yourself a chance. That means moving to the right side of the road too. Otherwise they would charge at least 6 OMR.












3PM The restaurant suggested kingfish rather than emperor fish. They would normally fry it but I didn't want them and got curry instead. Their curry kingfish was like they said, not Indian. I found out I probably prefer Indian.









4PM It was time to head to the airport. So I had catch one in the opposite direction. I could've gotten a bus but the restaurant owner told me the trick of sharing taxis and only get moving taxis, not those that are sitting idly for foreigners. I got one as one passenger was leaving, without realizing there were 3 people sitting behind me.

5PM I got to the airport but couldn't book flydubai's flight to Beirut through Dubai. I met a German guy named Halger who lent me his phone to book the flight. The reason I did this was because I wanted to get my luggage and check it in so that I don't have luggage with me in Dubai. So the itinerary was Kathmandu to Muscat to Doha arriving at Doha at 8:30PM and it was Doha to Dubai to Beirut. I wanted there to be time between the transfer between Oman Air and flydubai. Otherwise, I would have to go out of immigration and return within 2 hours. The best idea is the get the luggage now at Muscat and carry on so it's with me and check it in Doha. I managed to do this. But first, I got my luggage from the check-in area as they located it and then invited the German guy to the lounge. He showed me pictures of his exploration around Oman. I was unimpressed. He is a German guide in Berlin.







8PM My flight took off for Doha. I found out from the transit desk that they could have given me a transit visa had I just applied online one day ago. Now it is too late and I would have to pay for visa on arrival for Doha, later. I did find out through a little googling that Qatar Airways also offers a free city tour four times a day. I will go for that when the time comes.

10PM After the transit station, I waited at the gate for 30 minutes. People are a little lazy by reputation. I managed to convince them to check my luggage so I could walk Dubai.

No comments:

Post a Comment