Saturday, November 11, 2017

April 17th, 2017 Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire and Dakar, Senegal

12AM I didn't really want to take a 20 USD cab to the hotel that was 30 minutes away for just 6 hours. I just slept on a chair before immigration customs.

6:15AM I got my visa and by the way, Mousse was right, you need to do the e-visa prior. I couldn't get a transit visa. Although I don't think I would have a problem leaving. Maybe they would let me back since they wouldn't know whether I have left or not. But I wouldn't get my stamp.

7:30AM I took a taxi for 2000 XOF and I arrived at St. Paul's cathedral in the middle of the Plateau . It was unimpressive. I took a few pictures and took another taxi for 1000 XOF to Blokosso, opposite to the cemetery. You need to have change for the drivers because they don't or don't want to. Actually, no one does. I looked for a while. Someone helped me but the cab driver wanted more now. He was belligerent and snatched 500 XOF out of my hand and got 1500 XOF for his time.


I asked for good kedjenou (slowly simmered chicken or fish with peppers and tomatoes) and Ivorian escargot (snails). We even called the chef, who was not coming until 11AM, which would make me late for the flight so I had to leave.





10:30AM I am back at the airport and bought a small cup of coffee for 2000 XOF. I got some traveling information from a Senegalian man and almost ended up missing the flight. I got to the gate 2 minutes after it was supposed to leave.



11:50AM We left for Dakar and arrived at 2:30PM. Immigration was completely painless. I spent the next hour and half trying to figure out how to get to Bissau. I booked a ticket for tomorrow and hope that getting the visa same day tomorrow is doable. The lady voided my ticket because I was inpatient on getting my change so I had to wait another 30 minutes to get same ticket from another office.





4PM I finally got done with the ticket and took a taxi to the port before Goree. The ferry is 25 minutes each way, making it once every hour. Goree is an awesome UNESCO site. I finished at 8.





10PM I walked far to this famous restaurant, Logan, recommended by a couple of locals on the ferry. It had great interior but the barrel fish wasn't great. I had a stomach ache a couple of hours later.





11PM I got to Dakar International House, which I booked during dinner. It was actually not bad, the best I had so far, given the bed bugs at Lalibela. It had the strongest Wi-Fi and I bought a scrub finally. I did well.

No comments:

Post a Comment