Saturday, November 11, 2017

April 18th, 2017 Dakar, Senegal to Bissau, Guinea-Bissau

6:15AM I woke up to leave for the embassy. It turned out it was 45,000 XOF instead of 15,000 I was quoted yesterday. I hitched a ride to Medina to exchange money because there weren't any close by. I took a taxi back and arrived at 9:05AM. There was no line just like the man said this morning. I paid 45,000 XOF and was told I had to wait until 12PM.

10AM I stayed at this cafe place a couple of blocks away and had some gelato and bissap, which is the habiscus tea I had in Togo. This came out of a machine and was not as nice as the 100 XOF one I had before. I went back to the embassy at 12PM and did not get my visa for another half an hour because the lady there is just slow. I reiterated multiple times that my flight was at 2PM and I had to check-in by 1PM.

12:45PM I got to the airport and because I had kept the voided ticket, they first couldn't locate me. He figured it out eventually.

2PM My flight left for Bissau. Once I arrived, this lady who lives in California and who is from Cape Verde offered me a ride to the bus station. The van to Zuguinchor, which is where I needed to go, appeared empty so I told her I had to go at least see St. Ignacio.







3:30PM I took a taxi but it would stop every so often to pick up others. This costed some time I think and we hit dead traffic for a long stretch so we didn't get there until 4:15PM. I told the driver to stop for 5 minutes and I would go back to the bus station. I took a picture, knocked on the door. An old lady came out and I took a selfie with her. I ran out. We picked up more people but it wasn't as bad. The bus still needed a few more people so I was still early by 30 minutes. They tried to squeeze four in the back row but that was just not going to work.



8PM We arrived at the border but had to stop because it was closed. We walked across and apparently they gave us some refund after the ladies argued with the driver. We didn't have to pay more to get to Zuguinchor.

9PM The boy next to me offered to invite me to his friend's place. I was to sleep on the same bed. This hasn't happened to me before, I am sure. I bought dinner for the three of us, 2500 XOF for my shawama and 2500 XOF for their burgers.

11PM After seeing that there is no flight from Gambia to Cape Verde on Herman's neighbor's internet, I went to sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment