Saturday, November 11, 2017

April 13th, 2017 Cairo, Egypt

2AM I woke and went back to sleep and woke up again just before my 4:15AM alarm. They started praying at 4AM so it wasn't hard to wake up. I spoke briefly to the owner at Venus hostel, who was in Japan. 







6:45AM The driver left at 4:40AM. I am in a wait to leave for Cairo. Flight has been delayed 20 minutes. We got to Cairo at around 8:30AM. I took an Uber for 150 EGP to pay my tribute to the pyramids.



6:45AM The driver left at 4:40AM. I am in a wait to leave for Cairo. Flight has been delayed 20 minutes. We got to Cairo at around 8:30AM. I took an Uber for 150 EGP to pay my tribute to the pyramids.

1PM I was short 15 EGP for the 140 EGP, the cost of entry of the pyramids and the lady tour guide spotted me. The great pyramids was pretty exciting, much more grand than that which you see on discovery TV. You don't have a sense of scale and how tight the space is until you are there, breathing on your own. That's something that VR cannot recreate yet.

The lady tour guide and the Indian guy left after I refused her proposal of 70 USD for the whole day.

I took a horse carriage after bargaining down to 5 
USD and he gives me back 20 EGP and took some panorama pictures. I also got to the smaller pyramids. I got to the sphinx and the guide forces another tip, so I gave him 10 ETB and he left angrily. 











2PM My Uber driver was 23 years old and lost his way so I don't think we got to the museum until 1 hour later. The museum was also grand and quite impressive. I finished around 4 and looked for a seafood restaurant.

5PM I found El Nile, which is a pretty famous restaurant here. I had grilled sea bass, which took almost 1 hour and the seafood soup, which was excellent and only took 5 minute. I took a taxi to Hussein Mosque in the old city for 25 EGP.




6PM I walked around for about an hour. First they didn't let me in but then I found out I could go in as long as I am without my camera. It was just like any other mosque. I looked for a Wi-Fi connection for a while. Some 20 year olds talked to me and let me borrow their connection. It was actually more expensive quoted at 115 EGP. I asked a taxi driver, he wanted only 60 EGP. I gave him 40, which is all I had and 1 USD (18 EGP) and 10 what I think was English pence.



9PM I arrived and wanted to use the lounge as soon as possible. Ethiopian airline was not here yet so I begged an immigration officer to let me go to the lounge for a few hours. I got through immigration without check-in. The lounge was pretty bad but at least I could use the internet. The only problem was that I couldn't get any ideal flight to Western Africa. I didn't have any flights beyond Lalibela to Addis Ababa.

No comments:

Post a Comment