Monday, November 13, 2017

April 20th, 2017 Nouakouchatt, Mauritania

7:30AM I woke up and spent the next 2 and half hours doing errands online and took another shower. I walked to Marche Capitale, which was only 2 kilometers away. I walked into many money exchange man here. I was famished at this point. I didn't eat anything but had a couple of cokes yesterday.













12PM I finally found a fair exchanger who gave me 360 MRO per USD and exchanged 40 USD. I had camel heart and liver but couldn't find camel meat. I then took a taxi to the port pin I dropped on Google maps. I walked along the beach until I reached the port. There were many people helping move fish off the boat.

3PM I overpaid the taxi to port at 800 MRO and only paid half on the way back. I went to Tafarit Restaurant but they were closed at 3:30PM. I just had an awful mixed juice there.



4PM I went to another cafe and had a ginger juice and a scoop of coconut ice cream there. It had a pretty strong wifi connection and I spent another 2 hours there until 6:45PM when I walked to Le Maquis. I wasn't going to have French seafood by a Syrian owner at Tafarit when camel is the main dish here in Mauritania.




7:30PM Someone had to call and helped me find this restaurant. I bargained so I only had to pay 3000 MRO because I only had 8000 left and needed 5000 for the taxi. Alex the local fisherman showed up and took me to take a taxi first to Marche Capitale, to Madrid, then to Arafat. I paid for him the entire way, including the 500 MRO for the tea. There was no one there so we left after 40 minutes. I was disappointed so I didn't want to pay for him the rest of the way and we walked about 2 miles. I spent 300 MRI back to Marche Capitale and walked back to Hotel Hasman. I spent the next 10 minutes trying getting a taxi for 3000 MRO. No one would take me so I had to take hotel's offer of 6000 MRO. I only had 4000 MRO. The driver drove me to exchange but I was getting rates for less than 300 while the real rate is 360 MRO per USD. I just went  back to the hotel. He said I can stay there another night and I agreed to pay 4040 MRO and 7 USD. The desk man gave me 100 MRO as souvenir. It was 1AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment