Saturday, November 4, 2017

February 28th, 2017 Colombo, Sri Lanka

1AM My flight arrived, Sri Lanka had an half hour time difference. My driver was waiting for me outisde customs. I got through without any major issues with a transit visa since I provided my flight details on the same day out of Sri Lanka and my transit visa approval online.

5AM We arrived at the ancient city of Sigiriya. We had no issues getting there within 3 hours since there was no traffic. We slept in the car until 6:30AM. There was slight rain so it wouldn't have been perfect to see sunrise from the mountain opposite. I was not interested anyway since you would need to trek up in the jungle to see that.





7AM The way up Sigiriya was not that difficult. I took around 3 hours total. It was pretty hot I must say. There was more breeze between the Lion's feet and summit.


 





10AM I went for an elephant ride! It was 3000 LKR.

11AM I left for a river village safari which involves a bull ride for 20 minutes and then boat to coffee and lunch, all for 3500 LKR, normally 25 USD.








1:30PM We left for Dambulla temple, which we didn't get to until 2:15PM. The driver, Roy (0779996116), told me to be fast and be back before 3. I took my time and got back at 3:09PM. There were 5 cave temples with Buddha statues inside. I thought they were impressive but they didn't seem that old. It was extremely humid inside. I can imagine how one could just go crazy here. There were a group of white Buddhist going nuts at one of the temples.











6:30PM We got back and he woke me up in my dreams. I asked if I was talking in my sleep and he said yes.

7:30PM I was at the airport check-in. The people in front of me were from Hangzhou and I asked them if they checked luggage weight here. They said they didn't. But they did. I tried to have them take my tripod but even then they wanted to count my hand item, the camera bag into the carry-on weight. That would have been 14 kg instead of 7. We combined all of our weights into my bag and went back and forth for 2 hours. They were onto us and tried every way possible to stop us.

8:30PM The final configuration was this, I went in with my tripod in my luggage at 9 kg and an additional 9 kg from the mother and daughter. They each had a carry-on of 7 kg and I had my camera bag of 7 kg. They slipped another 7 kg bag by leaving it on the floor. I think in the end they just wanted to see one of us pay. The girl lied and went inside herself. She didn't think her mother had extra cash. I think the girl wanted me to pay. They paid 6050 LKR.

9PM We were finally done and I invited them to the lounge. The girl was a nurse. I got a free charger from them because I thought I lost mine but found it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment