Saturday, November 11, 2017

April 12th, 2017 Luxor, Egypt



4AM Just prior to flying, I asked a Chinese woman about Egypt and was under the impression that I could do Giza in a couple of hours and Luxor in half a day. I proceeded to buy the round trip ticket on the same day and returned the following day. I boarded for Cairo. The flight was longer than I expected, about 3.5 hours. I needed the sleep. I was dead tired.

6AM I arrived at Cairo. There was no priority pass lounge on the domestic side. I made my way to transfer and out of the international terminal in 
the meantime by mistake.



11AM My 1 hour flight to Luxor departed. The flight was pretty bumpy.

2PM I haggled with a driver, who continued to drive even though I told him to stop. He wanted 5 USD and I recorded me telling him to stop and I would only pay him 3 USD. The people at the Venus hostel talked to him and I finally gave him 4 to make him leave.
I agreed to the owner's offer to drive around the sights in the remaining time of the day for 20 USD. We drove the Valley of the Kings first. You are only allowed to see 3 of some number in the teens of tombs. No mommies here though until I found out that there was a separate ticket. It was somewhat impressive in the sense that most of it seems well preserved. We then went to Deir el-Bahari 



t at the west bank of the Nile. Not much to see here except it was pretty on the outside.







5:10PM We were late to the Karnak. I went pretty far inside without paying and took some pictures. I got into all the temples for half off student price except for the valley, where the guy took an extra 10 EGP  because my card was not ICSI. 

5:50PM We got to Luxor temple, which was even more reconstructed than all the other ones. I finished at around 6:35PM. I changed some money to pay back the 200 EGP I owe to the driver.




7PM I finally got back to Venus hostel and took a shower. I had a lamb kebob for 80 EGP but it was way too dry. I got back and complained that I didn't make it to Karnak. The owner made the taxi to the airport tomorrow complimentary. I paid 20 USD for all the driving today, around 2 hour driving time. I couldn't get anything going on the slow internet and computer for hours and went to sleep at 11:30PM.


No comments:

Post a Comment