Tuesday, September 11, 2012

August 5th, 2012 Santiago and Valparaiso

7AM  My bus for Santiago left at 7AM and got to the border around noon.  The Americans that left a couple of hours after me got there at the same time.  Reassuringly, there were no 160 USDs reciprocality fee.  Also, I was getting a lot of attention.  Whatever scenary that was supposed to be amazing between Santiago and Mendoza, I missed them because I was having my fever.  I got to Santiago at around 2PM.
There was nothing even reasonable for my ARS for exchange so I just changed 10 USDs for 4770 CLPs.  I took the subway to the hill that overlooks the city and stayed in line for an hour for the city view.  The Bohemian district was nice as a boy who lived in Miami declared to me on the subway.

View of Santiago

 Plaza de Armas, Santiago

Plaza de Armas was pretty good.  Because I had ran out of money, some nice girl helped pay for the bathroom (370 CLPs).  I wish they didn't charge for bathroom everywhere here.

I then took the subway again, this time meeting a young man, Rodrigo, back to Plaza de Armas.  He told me while Chile is Catholic, its not strictly obliging.  I told him that I realized many young couples in their early twenties had kids with them.  He said they aren't married.  Its been a trend for over ten years now.  My bus left Santiago at 

7PM  I noticed the men and women were more helpful than I could remember.  For example, I don't think Rodrigo ever meant to change 3 times on the subway if it weren't for me.

9PM  I arrived at Valparaiso.  A Chileano man walked me until I got to Avenida Brasil, going out of his way I believe.  I am very pleasantly surprised by the Chilean hospitality.  I didn't find Santiago's apartment at 1539 so the man in 1559 made a call for me and Santiago came down from the other side of the street to get me.  The address didn't exist and only served as a rendezvous point.

10PM  We met and I got 6 liters of fluids.  We talked a little bit and I met his roommate.  It was a long night of fever but I woke up better.

No comments:

Post a Comment