Wednesday, September 12, 2012

August 13th, 2011 La Paz, Puno and Cusco

12AM  I woke Anja when I returned.  She said we would have breakfast at 6 AM.  O Carla dear, I miss you so much!

6AM  I woke and mistakenly put Anja's electric boiler onto the stove.  Anja was angry, undoubtably, because the bottom rubber was destroyed.  She left to sleep after putting the boiler on.  Later, she accepted my apology and I walked out.


7:30AM  I started walking at 6:35AM and didn't get across the city to the bus station until an hour later.  I walked fast.  It turned out the 95 BOBs deal was on at window 20 but they didn't take visa.  I went to another window for a bus that switched at Coppacobana.  I paid 93 BOBs and wasn't happy with the 3 BOBs for visa.  I didn't have cash and had no choice.  I then didn't want to pay the 2 BOBs tax because I would have to break up my 10 BOBs souvenir.  Fortunately, some Canadians offered to pay for me.  The bus left around 9.


 Alpaca Meat

 Puno


 Floating Islands

11AM  We crossed the border and got to Coppacobana.  All the passengers were mad because they wanted to us to sit and wait 3 hours for the 1PM bus.  They got a minivan in about 30 minutes and we were on our way to Puno.  I went to a me versus everybody defending my way of traveling.  I think we ended up just agitating each other.  I hated the pretty blonde Canadian girl who like Bangkok and taught there for month.  How could anyone like Bangkok? Completely worthless.

1PM  We arrived at Puno.  I defending how I was 10 days ahead because it had bothered me.  I believe I then said, if you would excuse me, the world is waiting for me and left.


1:30PM  I was trying to buy the night bus ticket to Cusco.  The ATM ate my card.  The police sent me to a bank and the female manager helped to get my card out.  She walked me to the center and we found BBVA that allowed cash withdrawal in the branch.  She hugged me and left.  Well, here comes the bad news.  They weren't able to get cash out.  I went to their ATM as well as BCP's and discovered my card expired in July.  No one would call Well Fargo for me.  I changed my last 50 and got 130 PENs.  Following the bank manager's suggestions, I had alpaca meat for 28 PENs using visa.  It just tasted like any other steak.


4PM  I took a cab to the port for 3 PEN and got a guide named Reuben to go to the floating island.  We took the last boat at 4:30PM.  I wanted to conserve cash and couldn't pay Reuben.  So I had no English guide.  The entrance free and the fee for the boat were 5 and 10 PENs respectively.




5PM  The islands were made of straws and quite a sight to see.  It was definitely different but I could see day to day hardship as far as hot water, sewage system and electricity.  It was charming though.  They took another boat and the Mexican family offered to pay for me.




6:30PM  There were two clowns on the boat, one Mexican and one French.  The French girl offered skype at her hostel so I could call Wells Fargo.  I declined because I feared losing my luggage at the police office.  I then paid 2 PENs to be on her van so they dropped me off at the bus station.


7:30PM  I found the cheapest ticket to Cusco at 20 PENs and took it.  There was a 1 PEN tax again.  No one bailed me out this time.  The night was really cold.  Some nice locals offer me their coat so my jacket was used for my lower extremity.

No comments:

Post a Comment