Wednesday, September 12, 2012

August 26th, 2012 Quito

7AM  I woke and discovered I am still 2 hours away from Quito.

8AM  I met two kind girls at the bus station, who lent me their phone.  Jorge was busy today.  So I paid 0.25 USD to use the bus to get to the middle earth.  It took a couple of transfers and help from a young man, who walked me between the transfers.  I met a family of Jevovah's witnesses.  The man, whose name is Joss, told me a little of what he knew about hats.  Apparently, it was most expensive in Cuenca.  He said it has the greatest value per dollar a Jipajapa, followed by Montecristi, Guayaquil, Quito and Cuenca.  I was determined to find the truth.  The middle earth was somewhat boring.  However, because the ticket is 2 USDs and I only had a little over 1 USD, Joss reluctantly helped me change 100 ARS into 20 USD.  I left on a bus (0.40 USD) back into town.

4PM  When I got to Basilica del voto nacional, the view was spectacular.  I ran into the young man who helped me with the transfer earlier in the day.  However, my battery ran out and I could not even take one picture.





5PM  I got to La Mariscal just by walking, which took about half an hour with some help.  I got to a market on Juan Leon Mera Street.  Indeed, the price of the hats are better here than Cuenca.  Those priced at 200 USDs were finer than mine at 225.  There is nothing I can do about it but planning a trip to Jipajapa.  I had a coconut milkshake for 1.75 USDs and had another look before I left.

6PM  I ate seco de chivo and inka cola (12.87 USDs) at Mama Calinda.  It was pretty good.








7PM  I took a bus to La Marin and another bus to El Triángulo.  Someone helped with a call to Jorge again.  He picked me up in 15 minutes.  The whole family was there.  His parents, brother, sister and her boyfriend were kind to chat with me for a couple of hours.  Due to the hurricane in Miami, I called Ameican Airlines to make sure it was on, and it was.



No comments:

Post a Comment