Tuesday, September 11, 2012

August 1st, 2012 Montevideo, Colonia, Buenos Aires


We arrived on time.  My luggage was a little late and so was the bus.  But I didn't get to Mauricio's apartment until around 11.  We small chatted for a few minutes.  He was affable and agreed that I should go to Colonia and Buenos Aires at night.  We bought the ferry ticket at 818 UYUs, which is almost $40, in contrary to 300 UYUs that we found online. 

We then parted and he directed me to the bus heading for old town, which passes the center.  I wa struck by how the city was similar to Shanghai.  I cannot be sure that I even went to old town.  Supposedly the bus stopped there.  I proceeded to get a vantage point from the beach.   The coast wasn't that impressive.   By then it was 1:30 and I was supposed to go to Colonia at 2:30.  I walked back to the center and took CA1 bus back.  I met a couple of young friendly girls in their early twenties to walk me to the station.  Only one of them speaks English and even the college kids here dont speak English, a sharp contrast from Europe.  I was here touring for a little less than 2 hours.  But even my host agreed it was the decision he would've made also.  Bus to Colonia left on time around 2:30.


 Montevideo, Uruguay
I arrived at Colonia at around 6PM.  The old town was really small and there wasn't much to see.  There are bits and pieces left from the old colony.












Colonia, Uruguay

I bought a couple some diapers and got 170 UYUs back.  I bought a gatorade and a coke for 36 and 26 
UYUs respectively, leaving myself no money for the streetside hamburger for 120 UYUs.

The ferry boarded at 7:30PM for Buenos Aires.  A young man showed me the way to the train station and kindly bought me a ticket, which wasn't used because the gateway seemed always open for the Retiro train at Mitre.  I arrived at Nacho's house, which was also a catering company during the day.  He cooked me delicious some steak and sausage, as well as fenito with coke.

No comments:

Post a Comment