Sunday, September 2, 2012

August 15th, 2012 Cusco to Arequipa

2:45AM  I woke and they almost forgot about me.  I had the Milhouse front desk call 3 times and they finally picked me up at 3:30AM.

9AM  I was first driven to the train station and then took the train at 6.  We got there approximately at 9.  There was no guide and after complaining some, Pedro the guide pointed me up.  I declined getting the bus tickets for 17 USDs and decided to walk up.  This was a hard one, definitely longer than Kotor.  I probably spent 20 minutes to the bottom and another 70 to 80 minutes up. I walked to the guard house and the Inca Bridge and waited for Omar the guide at 11:30AM.  I couldn't make it to the Sun Gate, which is over an hour away.







1:30AM  Another guide has been giving us a very detailed tour.  Unfortunately, I did not get to finish and started walking down.  It took about an hour.  By now, I remember there were three gazeboes followed by six crosses with the roads that buses drive on.


2:55PM  I was extremely late to the train.  I just got to the the door when they started opening.  I talked some with Italians.  They were very interested in traveling and to some extent, Chinese economy and culture.


6PM  I have been on this bus back to Cusco.  There were a couple.of Norweigians who claimed to have claimed Machu Picchu in just 35 minutes and to the Sun Gate in just 30 as well.  This ride is taking forever.  I finally arrived at around 7:20PM.  I dropped back by La Bondiet for a coffee milkshake and a cake.


7:40PM  I had a heated argument with the manager at Milhouse, who insist that I pay a 4% fee if I use my visa.  Finally, someone came to help with the 1.5 PENs so I could pay the taxi driver.  The first driver insisted on 6 PENs but the second one only wanted 4.  I got to the bus station at 8.  When I bought the ticket for 40 PENs, I ran after it with a few kids.  I couldn't catch the bus with more luggage.  Therefore I came back and found tickets for Arequipa at one station for only 30 PENs.  I have 20 PENs worth of coins on me.


10PM I think I am going to sleep.  It did not ever get cold during the night. I think it has been the first time a bus had heating turned on.

No comments:

Post a Comment