Sunday, July 18, 2010

May 28th, 2010 Dubrovnik and Split, Croatia


6:20AM  We woke up by alarm and I took a shower.  It seemed like I was now unwelcomed to their place in Dubrovnik as they are saying I am going to Split.  Anyway, I did not care.
Dubrovnik, Croatia
10AM I arrived at Dubrovnik.  The bus station was 3 BAMs away from the old town so I had to find a bus.  The driver would only give me 6 BAMs for a EUR.  I got some old  lady to help me out, giving me 40 BAMs for 5 EURs.  Before I left the bus station, an Australian traveler helped me picked my own lock since I lost my keys the night before.  He also gave me a doughnut.

12PM I was done with this city.  I am sure i could have stayed longer than an hour and half but I got the most of it.  It was a larger, more beautiful than Kotor.  There is no question this city is magnificient, with still ordinary citizens living inside of this fortress.  But other than that, there is not much other than shopping.  I bought a 104 BAMs bus ticket to Split.  There was this Vietnamese girl raised in the UK talking to an Australian guy in front of me.  She is a travel agent and she has been to around 30 countries.
6PM We parted once we arrived at Split.  The Split Palace is a miniature version of Dubrovnk.  It honestly is not that impressive as imagined.  In fact, it is even less impressive than Dubrovnik.  I now think I like Bulgaria better than this part of this world.  It is less polluted by capital-driven renovation of ruins.  Although I must admit it is a formula that works.  The dinner was awful, the worst I had in Europe (60 BAMS and 20 BAMs went into salad and French Fries, which I did not order).  A Croatian guide led me to a few Chinese girls.  He was working on all of them.  It was painfully obvious and everyone was uncomfortable with him.  It was actually funny.
 Awful Fish from Split


7PM I left them and toured the palace for the next 2 hours.  Now I think maybe I should have spent a hour more at Dubrovnik.  I did not know this about Split and my train was to leave at 10:07PM.

Wall of Split
9:30PM I could not find a cafe that had internet and wasted 12 BAMs on this awful ice coffee at the cafe next to the train station.  Spending money in Croatia only goes half way.  Agh.  Well, they did not have internet either.
10:07PM My train left and I got a room to my self with 3 seats.  It was pretty comfortale except it is hot during the beginning of the night.  I met a couple of American girls traveling in the area, who kindly gave up their rooms so I could use their outlet.  Unfortunately, my adapter did not fit that and then I switched rooms with another couple of girls.  I should have checked the outlet outisde.  Through it fit my plug, no power was coming out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment