Saturday, July 17, 2010

May 22rd, 2010 Back to Istanbul and Out



I took a photo of this man running toward  his soon to be wife near Taksim Square in Istanbul.  On a chilly, drizzling morning, I spent nearly an hour walking up a hill that leads to the square.  When I lifted my head after reaching a plateau, I saw him moving swiftly, navigating his way through the rain toward his loved one.  I took just one picture.

6AM We are back in Istanbul again. I was confused whether I should leave my bag at the bus station so that I do not have to carry it around with me all the time. The bus driver said somethings unintelligible but a couple of girls from Argentina thought they were smart and that he was saying my bus station to Bulgaria is at a different location. So I hopped on the van so that I could get a free ride to the center. A a woman from Kentucky and her husband from India offered to have my luggage stored at the Side Hotel, which is next to the Sultanamet.

7:30AM I then waited outside the travel agency where I booked my ticket to see what she would say about storing my luggage. She did not show up until later. So I went to change some dollars at 1:1.566 and then recovered my plug adapter for Europe at the Moda Cafe, which I purchased for 1 TRY on the first day.

10AM The woman finally showed up and said that I have to go back to the same bus station. I asked her if the bus driver in the morning would take me there and she said that is pretty ridiculous to try to call and find him. Well, I then had no choice but carry it around with me all the time. I then visited Yerebatan Sarnici for 10 TRYSs. It was supposed to be where From Russia with Love was inspired or filmed, neither of which I can confirm.

The Medusa

From Russia, with Love

11:30AM I found a phone card for 3.75 TRYs for 50 units and I guess I was ripped off a couple of day s ago paying 5 TRYs for them. I called up the other host to meet him from Eminonu to Kadikor on the Asian side.

Istanbul

Ferry to the Asian Side

12:30PM I found Bulent and another Italian surfer. The Italian guy was some freelance writer and he was having problems with his rental car. We then had lunch (8 TRYs for Doners). He also found me a route so that I did not have to take the tram at Aksaray and transfer to get to the Eurpean Otogan, which means bus station. I was to go to Taksim Square and take bus 830 directly there.

As the ferry nears the shore, you can see the tower, behind which is the Taksim Square.

2PM I got back to the European side and to the tower, which was a little hard to climb with luggage but I managed. It was easy compared to what I went through the day before. The Admission was 10 TRYs so I skipped it as I did not want to change more money.

The Road that leads to the Taksim Square

Demonstrations may be common here.

2:30PM I got to the road leaing to Taksim Square. It was just a big shopping street. I do think it is a photographic heaven there as the buildings are large and old but has a very exquiste style to it. It is definitely the best shopping street I have have seen, much more grand than Fifth Avenue.

3PM I got to Taksim Square and took a few photos. That was more of a let down because there was nothing there. I went back to a cafe and had a fruit shake (6.5 TRYs) and a cake (7 TRYs). I used their internet until around 5 and left. I did almost forget my ticket and recovered it after realizing it in 3 minutes.
Delicious Cake for 7 TRYs

5:30PM The bus took me directly to the bus station for 1.5 TRYs. The bus was actually not leaving until 7:30PM so I had a couple of hours using their internet there. I met a few people from Ohio on the bus. A couple of guys were visiting a girl in Peace Corp and visited Istanbul for 3 days. One of them is actually doing biosand filter stuff in Kamaroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment