Tuesday, July 20, 2010

June 12th, 2010 Berlin, Germany



4AM I got back to Trung’s dorm and slept.



6AM Trung woke me up but it was too late to catch the 6:30 train. Thanks to him, I do not think I would have waken up for another couple of hours.
View on the Train to Berlin



8AM I bought a local soft drink for 28 CZKs and told my story last night to another guy on the train. He was doing his PhD in chemistry and was on his way to play volleyball on the weekend. When I got to the train station, I changed my 50 CZKs for 2 EURs with the couple of Singaporeans I met on the way to Budapest. I then changed the 24 CZKs for 1 EUR with a Japanese guy with a camera.

8:31AM My train left to Berlin.

 Hot Dog for 1.2 EURs at Alexanderplatz

2PM I arrived at Berlin HBF, which has its bottom level runnng trains while the top level runs several metros. It may be bigger than that of Munich, but not more beautiful. I then called Mara, who could not meet until 7PM. Thus, I just walked to Alexanderplatz by a recommendation. From that starting point, it was 2.5 kms to the Branderburg Gate, where I discovered a free tour.


I love these paintings.

Branderburg Gate

WWII Memorial

7:30PM I finished the tour and got to Mara’s place at 8PM. For some reason, she got me a hostel room. I did not ask, perhaps it was through a connection. (I found later that this place, Berliner City Pension, was paid by Mara with 20 EURs.) We then walked to various bars before settling down on a club to watch the USA tying England 1-1 in their first match of the World Cup. I had a sausage dog, which was very tasty.

11PM We walked through many pubs. I bought Mara another drink and a Rollen, which is a Turkish Roll baken in a stone oven with spinach and chicken (5.2 EURs). It is not any better than Kebab in Turkey. We took a cab (4 EURs paid by Mara) to another area even further. She then left me to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment