Monday, June 22, 2015

April 30th, 2015 Capetown, Africa to Walvis Bay

7AM Mike's alarm went off 3 times. He told me it was very cloud. It did seem so, and I had to choose something else.
8AM We had breakfast. I had some some spice chicken livers with pouched eggs. I then bought some snoek for 20 ZARs.


Chicken liver, weird barbeque sauce

Salty finger food fish

9:30AM I said goodbye to Mike, and waited at the airport for 2 hours. I met an American high frequency trader, David Iba, and we talked some, seemed like a very smart guy. I found later that he went to MIT.

1PM I arrived at Walvis Bay. There is an hour time difference. They stopped me at customs. I forgot to stamp my passport when I left Swaziland and the interpol flagged me.
3PM I finally got out of the police station after they cleared me. They drove me to Swakopmund to Amanpuri, a skydiver's lodge where David Iba was staying.


Arrival at Walvis Bay



Swakopmund


4PM I arrived at Amanpuri but there was nothing that was going to Sossusvlei, so I was recommended to go to Bidvest next to Crossroads, a 4 by 4 car rental place. Bidvest also had nothing. There was no vehicles so I went to Swakopmund car hire, who just had a manual car.  Avis had nothing so i went for dinner at a place called Tug. On the way there, a black guy tried to stop me but I got out of it.
6PM Tug had parts of it coming from a ship. I talked to a couple of Japanese guys about my situation as I was looking for a ride to Sossusvlei.  One was teaching and the other was a mechanic.  I had oryx for dinner, which was a bit dry. I think they had some mediocre fish.  After dinner, someone recommended me to ask around in the restaurant since there were quite a few people there.  I found a lot of people coming from there and was eventually kicked out.



Tug restaurant


What the Japanese guys had, I think.



Oryx for dinner

8PM I continued to try my luck at other bars and hotels. It didn't look like there was anything.
9PM An old lady and a girl tried to pick me up at a bar and when I told them my situation and joked whether I should approach a man sitting at the bar. She said probably not.  I was dared and approached the man.  A German guy in his 20s, he was going to Sasuslvei tomorrow at 11 but it's the best I have gotten thus far. He seemed drunk so I made sure he wrote me a message on Whatsapp. Someone gave a phone number of a scenic air tour, a private air tour, that was going to be around 3000 ZARs. 


Crazy beer jug- some rude and grumpy tour guide tried to hustle me for $500 for a night drive to Sossusvlei. Obviously, I didn't take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment