Monday, June 22, 2015

April 28th, 2015 Johannesburg to Mbabane, Swaziland

7:30AM I arrived at Johannesburg. Following others' advice, I went straight to the rental car companies. I talked to every single company, who universally wanted 3 day minimum for unlimited mileage (otherwise 200-250 kilometers maximum) and a one way fee dropped to Capetown. Some didn't even have vehicles. Fortunately, one company made an exception for unlimited miles because the women agents found me attractive, maybe. The final price was 2020 ZARs. She asked for 1 USD tip.

1PM I was stopped for a toll because I didn't have 50 ZARs in cash or as a matter of fact, any cash, the machines didn't work. I got into an argument and changed 4 USDs for 50 ZARs. But the lady charged my Wells Fargo card. So I'll fight it later. I have got some gas and soda for 235 ZARs. I guess things are cheap here. I was stopped by a cop at 2PM who wanted 2000 ZARs for not stopping at the stop sign. After I dared him to arrest me, he let me go.3PM My car broke at the border. The mechanic put in a temporary fix and I drove to Mbabane (30 minutes away). He said there's water in the engine. I took some pictures and drove back. I just ignored it and kept driving while there was smoke coming out of the exhaust.


Mbabane

4PM I got back to the border but the car died again. I talked some young South African ladies, one of whom called the company for me. I had some cow head and porridge for dinner (30 ZARs). We then waited for the replacement.


Cow head and porridge




Friends at the border


8PM The guy finally arrived. We just had wait for another hour for the truck truck.

10PM It took one and half hour to get to Piet Retief, where we switched vehicles.


Getting my energy drinks

No comments:

Post a Comment