Monday, July 25, 2011

July 9th, 2011 Bergen and Flam, Norway



Flam, Norway

Ukrainian Girl Studying in Norway




Traveling for me is not just an experience of the diverse surrounding. It is also my inner struggles, my self reliance independence and making mistakes. There is much time for self reflection, most of which must be done when one is alone. One's home environment does not provide that. Being alone allows it.

6AM I finally reached Bergen at 6AM. The buses apparently go near the fjord but not necessarily having a view of it. so I got the bus ticket but then returned it once that was realized. I ran into an American couple, who had purchased a 1200 NOK ticket for a day trip. I wanted the same one but wanted to go to Oslo instead of coming back to Bergen. I got it for 930 NOK ticket with all the interrail discounts. It is still expensive.
10AM we are taking the train to Flam, a small village in the fjord. I bought a couple of sodas there for 17.90 NOKs. I am sick so its better to be hydrated.

Flam, Norway
2PM I confirmed that there is no night train from Bergen to Oslo as it is Saturday. Therefore, I must stay here for the night and leave at 7:30AM tomorrow morning.
8:40PM We finally reached Bergen. The ride was stunning at many parts. However, the repetitious valleys makes one think that the 930 NOK trip should be cut down to one hour and at 1/3 of the price. The nice tour guide told me the locals use cars to drive around the fjord. I actually think that is much better. One would have a foreground instead of just looking as if one is far away, or detached. It is very difficult to photograph the magnificence of the fjords. My photographs might not do it justice.


An Irish Friend Living in Australia
9:15pm I met Lina, who was my CS host. She made me dinner and we went to a so called dub step dance club. The club entrance fee was 100 NOKs, which I paid Lina with twenty dollars. It was pretty empty at first so I visited Lille, Downstairs, and a couple other ones whose name I cannot remember. I came home at 2:30 and slept until 6:30.


This was 6 in the evening and it was still bright outside.  Day never ends in the summer in Bergen.  It is not easy to photograph the magnificence of the fjords in Norway.  A redheaded student was on this boat and I wanted contrast her youth with the fjords, the gray but illuminated sky and the old town in the background.  The ship was docking fast and I clicked the shutter.


No comments:

Post a Comment