Monday, July 25, 2011

July 3rd, 2011 Basel, Strasbourg, Luxembourg and Brussels


Luxembourg


4:40AM I got up and left for the train station. On the train, I changed the 2 CHFs for 2 EURs with an old man in his 60s , who also offered me to go to his home. I politely declined.


7:30AM I arrived at Strasbourg. Its a island surrounded by canals. Touring it reminds me a lot of Sofia. Perhaps it is because I bought deserts twice the same shop at both places. The first was a soda for 1.5 EURs and a cake for 2.6 EURs. Later, I returned to the same store, Aux Saveurs for a mousse cake for 2.6 EURs a coke for 1 USD at a convenience store.

Strasbourg

9AM I returned to the train station but have to wait until 10:03 for it to leave for Metz and then Luxembourg. The women here are oddly all having dark hair and I thought it would get more blond the more north one goes in France. But things are certainly cheaper than Nice and Lyon.
Fish at Luxembourg that would cost 65 EURs

12PM I arrived at Luxembourg. It was first what I expected, a boring city like everyone described. It was mostly that. I bought what was supposed to be Gelato but tasted like ice cream for 2 EURs. At their international food market, I found the food native to here, fried potatoes in the shape of a burger kind of like the veggie burger with onions. It was 4 EURs. I did discover the old city at grund. There is no entree fees there and there was an art festival. I met a photographer who gave me a few tips and she took a photo of mine as well. I got on the train to Brugge at 320pm.

Potatoes and Veggie Burger of Luxembourg




The Old City at Luxembourg

5PM I decided to go directly to Brussels because I would be back in Brussels at 10 or 11.

Brussels Train Station

7PM I arrived at Alex's home. His home is awesomely decorated by industrially styled furniture and swiveling doors. Furniture were mostly from Ikea. He did not want to go out so I went ahead myself.

Brandenburg Gate of Brussels

9PM After the Brandenburg Gate of Brussels, I finally arrived at the Central Plaza. I found some small street where tourists go for mussels. I had wait so long to be seated I went out to take more pictures. I came back and met a Chinese couple from New York. The mussels were the best I have had. The beer the Chinese guy recommended could be avoided at 3.5 EURs. I had another coke at 1 EUR. I met a Lithuanian woman, who asked me to help take her pictures. Her mussels were not that good from another restaurant. We walked around a while before Jon Nahas found me. We walked around the city for an hour until 12 before I left. Luckily I caught caught the last bus this time. Alex is a java web enterprise engineer for IBM. He is most understanding. I took a shower and set the alarm for 5:30am.


No comments:

Post a Comment