Sunday, July 24, 2011

July 1st, 2011 Nice, Arles and Lyon




Breakfast at Nice

6AM We were up. Apparently my luggage was still in Geneva as of yesterday. I bought some breakfast 3.3 EURs for us and then waited for the train. I did not believe the man at the door that what he pointed to was the train and it was 3 hrs to Arles. But yes, it is and that mistake that cost me an hr. There is no direct train to Arles and you would have to go through Marsailles, which I did not visit as someone on the train told me it is like Naples.


Colosseum

12pm I got to Arles, no one seemed to know where it is. Perhaps it is a tourist trap. I paid a visit to Babbet, who is supposed to be my cs host. I liked it overall. But having seen so many ruins, another one may seen dull. The entrance fee was 4.5 EURs the amphitheater and the Colosseum. The French have really impressed with their manners and reminds me of Cambodia.

Panama Hats sold to tourists

3:54PM I got on the train to Lyon.

8PM It was not until 8 that I arrived. Lyon is the second largest in France. There was nothing particular to see. The French women have seen today are fashionable and several exceedingly pretty.


Opera House at Lyon

10PM I am at the very famous Brasserie Georges from 1836, recommended by the French girl Astrid on the plane to Paris. She mentioned the brasserie near the station. I figured it had to be this one. It is well known to many, including the young man I met on the train. I ordered Quenelles (flour, egg and cream dumplings), which was disappointing. Maybe I just do not the acquired taste yet. It was 15.9 EURs and 4 EURs for the coke.

The very famous Brasserie Georges


12AM I arrived at hotel station and found their bars to be so small.


2Am I am at Vieux Lyon, the old town I was meant to visit in the morning. The river has a strip of clubs and inside they have many bars. The problem is that the bars were closing soon and some of them were private. I was approached by a girl, whose boss said she was 100 EURs. I left this place to walk back to the train station. I caught myself walking with a couple of friends from England studying in France. I had just missed the last train as a result of walking too slowly with them. It was a good walk though.

4AM I walked around 8 km for almost 2hrs to reach Lyon Perrach. What was meant to be 20 minutes ended up being an eternity. I wanted to give Brasserie Georges one more chance. Someone at the hotel next door let me stay inside until the train station opened.












No comments:

Post a Comment