Sunday, December 8, 2019

November 29th, 2019 Conakry, Guinea to Freetown, Sierra Leone


4:30AM I woke and played Hitman until 7AM. I walked to Obama Cafe, which was a shack off the water and then took a stroll to the Saint Mary Cathedral. I then found a cab for 40,000 GNF to the airport. The drive was long with a lot of traffic. It has been 30 minute and already 8AM and we are not there yet still.





8:15AM We arrived and I waited in the badly run VIP lounge until take off. At least they didn't give me bad looks like they did at the lounge in Bamako, Mali.

11AM We arrived. I went to take a 40 USD water taxi with a Lebonese guy from Lungi to Freetown. This is probably the first airport where the airport was separate from the capital city by water without a bridge.





12PM It took me 1 hr to figure out my stay with the AirBNB. I then took a motorbike to drop my bags off there at 12 White Street. I then took another taxi to the Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary. The driver stopped midway and then I hopped on another shared taxi to get to it. It took another 40 minutes or so to walk up the hill.

2:30PM I reached the sanctuary but they told me they only fed at 10AM and 4PM, which were the visiting hours. I was exhausted and it was very hot. I waited until 4PM. The tour was nice. I didn't get to see the baby chimpanzees, which were "off limits" to tourists. I finished in 45 minutes and walked down with the two young guides. It was hard to catch a cab. It took another 30 minutes to get on a shared, locally converted van, which in the beginning carried 28 people. We reached Wilberforce. I took a motorbike there to get to 12 White Street. Alfred the local who was married to Layna, the American girl took me in. There was no running water so I had to take a shower with a bucket. The AC in the living room was broken so he offered his room. I accepted, of course, and went to bed at 7:30PM.










Van with 28 people

No comments:

Post a Comment