Saturday, January 18, 2014

December 13th, 2013 Kunming

6AM I was going to take a taxi but ended up taking the 919 bus with an old man to a place where I transferred to another bus to the Green Lake.  It was alright just like I saw in someone's blog (http://www.mafengwo.cn/i/1322235.html).



9AM The walking street was pretty disappointing.  I then took a bus to the park, which was a pleasant surprise.









11AM I think I'm pretty late.  I didn't have time to look for the restaurant.  I just bought 2 pieces of spicy tofu and then got on the 11:30AM 919 bus.

12:15PM I got back to the airport but ended up early because I really didn't need to be checking in 2 hours early.

2PM In addition, my plane was late and didn't leave until 2:20PM.

3PM We arrived at the Mandalay Airport. I was going to go with a couple of Chinese people but they left without me as I struggled with either taking the plane or bus to Bagan.

4PM I totally forgot you needed spanking new bills and the lady didn't accept my 2 dollars until I exchanged my used twenty with a girl from San Diego traveling with her parents.  The ticket was 56 USDs.

5:10PM My 25 minute flight began and ended quickly.  I shared a ride with several Thais and they were videotaping everything.  I paid a little more for my part (2 USDs for 1500 MMKs).

6PM I started looking for a guest house along the main street that was more dead than parts of Cambodia.  I found one for 20 USDs but ended with a hostel room for 15 USDs.  The teenager manager told me to go to La Min Thit.  It is more decorated and more suited for foreigners like I hoped it was not.  In fact, the papaya juice reminded me so much of Laos that I was certain diarrhea is eminent.  They didn't make my food until the next hour because the owner misunderstood that I didn't like Burmese food.  So she made the exception to give me half goat and half river fish instead of charging me for 2 dishes.

9PM I got back and met my roommate, who suggested an electric bike for 5000 MMKs.  The manager didn't have any so I went out to look for it.  One man renting them out wanted 5000 MMKs first.  But when I told him I wanted to leave for the sunrise he insisted 6000 and wouldn't take 6 USDs.  He even sent me away.  I finally found another one for 6000 MMKs and negotiated for 7 dollars and 850 MMKs back.

11:30PM I returned and took a shower, unfortunately making some noise and waking my roommate.

No comments:

Post a Comment