Tuesday, March 19, 2024

December 21st, 2023 Ashur and Mosul, Iraq

5AM I was awakened by someone's morning prayer, which disrupted my sleep. I moved downstairs but found it difficult to fall back asleep.

6:30 AM I had a cup of tea for 250 IQD and then took a taxi to Malwiya Minaret. It was closed. How shocking... I took the best picture that I could and made the driver to go to the side of the sun.


Malwiya Minaret

8AM I arranged for a ride to the checkpoint to retrieve my passport. From there, I took another taxi to Qasr al-Ashiq and negotiated a fare of 35,000 IQD to reach Ashur.

Qasr al-Ashiq, Iraq

10:30AM We reached Ashur, and the driver proposed an additional 35,000 IQD to continue on to Mosul. However, I had my heart set on seeing Hatra, so I politely declined.

1:30PM My exploration of Ashur was extensive, and I had the entire place to myself. I even had the opportunity to venture inside a Ziggurat, which bore a striking resemblance to the grand gallery in the pyramids.

Ashur, Iraq

2PM Since there were no available taxis at the location, I received a call from someone who demanded 100,000 IQD for a ride to Mosul, an outrageous price. Instead, I hitched a ride to the intersection with the help of an Iraqi school teacher, who then assisted me in finding a taxi to the main Highway 1. The police arranged a second ride for me to reach Hatra.

3PM Upon arrival at Hatra, I quickly realized that Othman Anees from Facebook was correct; I needed to purchase a ticket in advance from Mosul. Despite the efforts of the checkpoint police to assist me, the request was ultimately denied. Reluctantly, I hired a taxi to take me to Mosul.

4PM I reached Mosul and arranged for another taxi to transport me to the city center. I found refuge in a hotel for 20,000 IQD and then ventured out for a leisurely stroll. I also had some repairs done, fixing a button and my shoe for a total of 2,000 IQD. Unfortunately, the repair job on my wallet didn't go well. I had a lamb boat for 1,250 IQD and another kebab for 6,500 IQD.

5:50PM The pistachio ice cream at Alshark was very good. I went to sleep at 8PM.


No comments:

Post a Comment