Tuesday, March 19, 2024

December 19th, 2023 Ur and Baghdad, Iraq

7:30AM The alarm woke me but I snoozed through it and got up just before 9AM. The Imam Ali mosque here was impressive, although not as grand as the ones in Karbala.

10AM I set out at 10AM, strolling to the drop-off intersection where I caught a bus headed to the garage. We had to wait for two more passengers, but after a mere 10 minutes, we were on our way, departing at 10:30 AM.

1:30PM We finally arrived at Nasiriya. It took 3 hours. I was stopped by 2 checkpoints. From there, I hopped into a taxi bound for the Great Ziggurat of Ur. As it loomed in the distance, it appeared massive, but I soon discovered it was an optical illusion. This ancient site dates back to around 2400 BC and served as a temple dedicated to the moon.




3PM I left the site and shared a taxi with a girl I met at the site to the Nasiriya parking. I waited another half an hour in a Dodge taxi. Apparently, that's what the special taxis usually use. I gave my PlayStation hat to a kid selling water. Our car left at 4:07PM.

7:30PM I finally arrived in Baghdad, where the three boys I shared the taxi with recommended Zarzour Restaurant for dinner, and that's where I decided to dine.

8:30PM I had sheep's head for 25,000 IQD. I walked a few blocks but couldn't find any good accommodation. Fortunately, a friendly driver offered me a ride to Baghdad Hotel, though it came with a hefty price tag of 170 USD, which I politely declined.

11PM I checked into Al Faraby Hotel for 30,000 IQD. I then went downstairs to check out a few bars nearby. I was sure what it was. There was a woman singing and a mix of both men and women of various ages enjoying the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment