Tuesday, November 23, 2021

July 26th, 2021 Eldhraun lava field, Fjallsarlon, Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon

8AM We woke and I took the drone to take a video of the church above. It was anticlimactic. The breakfast was the same as yesterday. The view was beautiful.


9:30AM We finally left. We started driving to the Grafarkirkja church. It was not there and it was just another place with the same name as stated in the previous entry.

10AM We arrived at the Eldhraun lava field which was alright. The canyon was not far away so we drove to it. The hike was longer than expected. The drone shots were spectacular. I started running back because it was 11:40AM. I thought I could get to the glacier hike at 12PM. However, I miscalculated the distance and the amount of driving that we had done before. We had only driven around 45 minutes to Fjaðrárgljúfur and we were still about 1 hour away. I called the company and obviously, when they heard it would take us an hour late, they refused to refund.

Fjaðrárgljúfur



1PM We arrived at the Skaftafell Glacier National Park. They do not actually run any private tours. There were four private companies. Only one ran a small ice cave tour. They left an hour ago and they recognized me. I went to check out the other one called Arctic Adventure right next door and they weren't running any hikes with the cave. Ours was the only one that did. They did tell me that it was a small cave though. I look for Paoula and she seems to have disappeared. I bought a Diet Coke and a Coke Zero. They were getting warm in my hand. So I went back and exchange them for two new bottles. I finally found Paoula after an hour. She was just sitting in the car sleeping because she had the same color clothing as the car seat, I couldn't recognize that she was still in the car. At this point, she turned very angry. But she insisted that she was grumpy and tired. I continue to drive. I drove past Svinafellsjokull.

Svinafellsjokull

6PM We arrived at Fjallsarlon. They didn't allow drones here and I was warned by some strangers. We continue driving for 20 minutes to reach the Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon. We took a few photos at the Diamond Beach. The photos were difficult to shoot and the tides were coming in. My shoes got completely wet.


7PM we arrived at the Lilja guesthouse. I dropped off Paoula so she wouldn't get angry. I drove 40 minutes to the Endalausidalur Peaks. I actually took two wrong turns and with the last one I was running when out of gas. An American rescued me by giving me half a small tank of gas.

Sunset

7:45PM I finally took the middle road like the American had suggested. There was a large parking lot. I flew the drone. However, I had to fly very far and visibility was not ideal. 

8:30PM I arrived back at the Lilja guesthouse to pick up Paoula. We found another restaurant Pakkhus. They had very old decor and the building was built in 1932. The langoustine was great and they even gave me a recipe book when I told them I would like to learn. The horse was also good.

Langoustine at Pakkhus

And horse meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment