Saturday, August 10, 2013

June 29th, 2013 Caracas, Venezuela


12:34AM  I arrived at Caracas at this funny hour.  Just a note: don't walk past the bridge toward the exit if you intend to come back for domestic transfers.  I almost did, twice.
2AM  I changed 50 USDs with a couple at 30:1, much better than the people who stood outside offered me (27:1).  I avoided the notorious path outside the airport by finding another path inside.
5AM  I dozed off for a little before I woke just after 5. I found my way to Aeropostal, who had the first flight at 6:45.  A young man who translated for me told me that there was no availability.  We talked to another man who offered "an emergency ticket" at 1200 VEFs.  Something told me to keep looking when the guy asked me, "do you know how much tickets cost because I don't know?"  He was flying on the same plane as I found out later.  I waited in line and found a seat for just 630 VEFs.

6:45AM  I left for a one-hour flight to Puerto Ordaz.  All the airlines and tour companies are in the same tiny building.  Transmandu was the only one that flew today and they wanted 4000 VEFs.  I had no choice but to look for exchange.   I finally gave up on 30 and exchanged with the driver for a Chinese couple. I got 3250 VEFs for 120 USDs from them.

9:30AM  I got on a 18 passenger plane for Canaima Park.



11AM I met with James Ordonez, who didn't speak English. We talked through Anel the couchsurfer's wife.  The price for 2 nights and Angel Fall Tour is 4060 VEFs, more than what was quoted earlier at 3950 VEFs.
2:30PM  I went on the Sapo Tour and got bitten more than 20 times on each leg.
5PM I returned and had dinner before going to sleep at 8PM.















No comments:

Post a Comment