Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 2: Saigon, Cu Chi Tunnels, Can Tho

I slept until 6:15 AM and woke my roommate. I got his email before I left the apartment for the Cu Chi Tunnels. The bus left around 7:45 AM and took almost 2 hours to get there.
We stopped at a seemingly authentic handicraft factory. Let me tell you, authentic it may be, but it is damn expensive. I would not pay this money in America. On the other hand, they are truly amazing. They had those room dividers, plates decorated with broken egg shells.

I truly love this place, everything about it except for the price. In case you were wondering, it says $4,435 for this room divider.
There are many traps here. This particular one pins your foot down and you would be stuck with that for a few seconds before a Viet Cong soldier kills you.The infamous bamboo trap! If you step on this, the plate would just rotate and you would be pierced to death.
This is a tiny hole that barely fits me.
I don't know how much it costs to shoot a AK in the US. But here they sell it to you for about $1.3 per bullet. They have got M16s, AKs, submachine guns, machines guns, etc.
We are back at District 1 at 2:30 PM. I had 2 crabs for lunch for 10,000 VND.

I am on the road again at 4 to Can Tho. I met another cute girl that studies English in Saigon. She bought me seafood pho for dinner (42000 VND for two). Her original plan was to take me to a dance at 10 PM. I guess our bus was a little late that we had to split.
Upon arrival, we split and I looked for my way to a hostel close to the floating market. Can Tho has the busiest floating market in the Mekong Delta that opens early morning. I plan to go early in the morning and finally found someone that spoke a little English to express my desire to a moto driver. He took me to a place about 6 Km away from the bus station for 18,000 VND. I almost gave him 100,000 VND by accident. I caught him just before he was getting back on the bus.

Take a look at this room and guess how much I paid for it! It has got a fan and no additional electric outlets. So if I use my computer, I have to turn off the fan.
This room is, yes, only 50,000 VNDs. But hey, at least I have a bigger bed.The "shower" in the same room is a faucet running cold water and a bucket.

At about 1 AM, this hostel employee brought a girl and offered me "massage." She wanted 200,000 VNDs. Obviously, I wasn't going to engage in that but it had occurred to me that these service costs can probably be used as a component of the CPI, surely as well as something like Coca-cola. I walked to go to the common bathroom and saw the same girl eating pho. I thought that was a little unprofessional... But anyway, I am off to bed at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment