Friday, February 18, 2022

February 9th, 2022 Lagos, Nigeria to Bangui, Central African Republic

8:05AM I left for the airport. The Uber driver took a couple of wrong turns, but I still got there in 15 minutes. I tried to check in and had a scare when a guy went back and said I needed a visa for Central African Republic. There was a new Wikipedia page that I had never seen before which says US passport holders need visas, contrary to the other page that says US citizens are exempt for 180 days. Mr. Stanley who I met told me that I did not need a visa yesterday now says I do. He seemed not to have recognized me and asked if I was the same person from yesterday. The one who went to the back office to check whether I needed a visa wanted to let me through, but Mr. Stanley seemed to have other ideas. I first said I was the one from yesterday and then said no and was finally allowed to obtain my boarding pass.

10:40AM I checked out the Premium Lounge and the Oasis Lounge and decided to go with the latter. I had some chicken sausage and omelet. I then went downstairs for a 20-minute massage with my Priority Pass. The man who checked me in earlier allowed me to pass, then stopped me again to ask me whether I was going to Bangui. I had to show him my boarding pass again and he got on the phone to ask again. I showed him the Wikipedia page which showed I should be visa exempt and he finally let me go.

3PM The flight stopped at DLA for 45 minutes before continuing to Bangui.

5:12PM The plane landed. I had no issues except the man who helped a little bit with the process and pestered me for 20 USD. I refused. They stamped my passport. As expected, and verified by Stephen Bracken from the American Embassy, US citizens may enter Central African Republic, visa free, for 180 days.

6PM I hitched a ride from a Russian man to his hotel, the Oubangui Hotel. They wanted 112 USD so I hitched a motorbike ride to Le Grand Café. I then was directed to a Chinese restaurant just around the corner. I met the owner and she said she could give me the room for 15,000 XOF. I walked to Cafrina, which only took XOF and EUR cash. They looked like they had local food unlike Le Grand Café. I walked to the Chinese restaurant and the owner was happy to lend me 10,000 XOF. I then walked back to Cafrina for dinner. I got the antelope with legume. The legume was fine but a little oily. The game meat was too tough. It was 5,500 XAF. I walked back and gave my old clothes to a man asking for food.

UN vehicle in Central Africa Republic

9PM I came back to the restaurant. The owner did not take my money. I went to bed at around 10PM. There was no internet in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment