Thursday, March 12, 2020

January 7th, 2020 Wanaka, New Zealand

8AM We left for Wanaka. It took more than 2 hours and we stopped for gas and latte on the way. When we arrived, it was already afternoon. We had lunch and dropped off Helen at the AirBNB at 2PM.


2:30PM We started to climb Roy's Peak. Joanna and I got separated after about 20 minutes when she couldn't keep up anymore. I then got up to the view point by 5PM. When I saw that there was a queue of 4 people or so at the photo spot I decided to continue on my way to summit.

5:30PM I hit a three way. The right path was the correct one but I took the middle one, which seemed like it would let me summit quicker. It turned out that the one on the left was the correct shortcut. However, it was also dangerous because I was basically walking along the edge of the cliff. I finally got to the real summit at 5:45PM or so. I stayed up there for 30 minutes. Weather was bad and it was rainy and hard to see where the lake was. I met a couple from Thailand here and they told me that they were driving down today from Lake Matheson. They couldn't capture photos with reflections with strong wind. They reckoned it would happen to me also.





 


6:30PM I got back down to the viewpoint at 6:30PM. I stayed there for another 1 hour or so, trying to wait for a more perfect moment but it never came. The Thai couple helped me take some photos of me. I started my descent at about 7PM but wasted 20 minutes walking up the path to the summit without realizing. I later fell a couple of times in the mud and once night fell, I fell again. This time it was on a hard rock but I had no bruises. I did not get to the parking lot until 10:30PM. I passed the Thai couple again about 30 minutes away from summit. I then drove Joanna to grab some chicken pie takeout to go home. I went to bed around 1AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment