Friday, October 11, 2019

August 1st, 2019 Transferring from Bangkok to Delhi, to Kabul

1AM I arrived at Bangkok. I had to get out first for a new boarding pass from Spice Jet. The customs line took one hour and by the time I got to the airline desk, it was already 2AM. I tried to get my ticket and was denied because the flight in India was to Kolkata, which was domestic. This was a problem as it potentially would have forced their hand since I did not have an Indian Visa issued to me prior. I had to book the flight directly to Delhi in a pinch. I paid some penalty for booking for the flight on August 2nd. That was a mistake but I don't even think the 3:50AM flight directly to Delhi showed up on Kayak.

6AM I arrived at Delhi but no one showed to help me transfer. I had to wait in the transfer area.

9:30AM A girl showed up for Kam Air. Though someone else told me that the airline needed to walk me through customs, that was not the case and all I had to do was take her hand written ticket and walk through security.

2PM I stayed at the Plaza Premium Lounge for several hours. I had been here before. We left around 3:30PM. There was no meal on Spring and Spice Jet but there was lunch on this Kam Air flight.

5PM We arrived at Kabul.



 I got a ride from Mohammed, a local with whom I consulted about travelling in Afghanistan. There are Taliban groups on the way to Bamyan. There was a bombing that killed 40 on July 1st. Since Bamyan didn't look that great anyway, I decided to just follow them and stay in Kabul. They dropped off Mohammed's family and we went to Bagh Babur. 






We got back at 7PM and they offered to let me stay as a guest. I ate with them. The men and women ate separately. There are 14 people in their family. There are 5 brothers and 1 sister. Three of the brothers were married. The oldest had 2 children. The second and the fourth oldest each had a daughter. I also met the head of the household, who came and greeted me. He is married also. After talking some more, I went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment